Wednesday, February 08, 2006

celebs i've seen...

A pretty random topic, but it was one of the topics that popped into my head, so why not...

So, at the moment I can remember having crossed paths with two "celebrities" and one politician out of context (e.g., not in a state-house, Congress, etc.)... interestingly (or not) these all involved airplanes or airports... which shouldn't be odd since there are so many people that go through airports... but since I happen to be an airplane guy of sorts... it is a nice coincidence...

First, back in 1991 while standing outside in a line at LAX to check-in for a flight home after my trip to Japan a guy got out of a Mercedes Benz and brushed past me and another guy from Minnesota flying home. That guy was none other than former Detroit Pistons point guard - Isaiah Thomas. A very fleeting moment and it seemed a little odd, basically no luggage and in LA... but we were very sure that it was him.

Second, in 2003 I was in JFK having just flown back from a meeting in France. Unfortunately (for me) Delta had decided to sell me a round-trip ticket even though they had decided that they were discontinuing service to Nice, France... so they got me there, and didn't have a flight back... to make things more interesting for some people this was during one of the strikes at Charles deGaule airport in Paris... anyway, I got routed through Frankfurt and had to literally run from one end of the airport to the other and was one of the last people on before they closed the door.... anyway, I get through all the post 9/11 customs at JFK... man I dislike NYC airports... get to my gate and sit for a minute. I notice the usual groups of suits talking amongst themselves probably going over their performance at the last sales meeting... but their glances are kind of furtive.. toward a blonde woman in a leather trench-coat.... yeah, I was on a NYC-DCA flight with a "10"... Bo Derek....

For some odd reason I have had the experience of twice being on a flight with the same politician/public servant from the state of Arkansas - Asa Hutchinson. Once on a flight to Denver from, and another to somewhere else a few years later. The first was while I was living in St. Louis and he was still in Congress.. the more recent one was when I lived in DC, and it shouldn't have been too much of a surprise that I would be on a flight with a politician.... nevertheless, twice with the same guy seemd a little odd to me at the time.... maybe not a "celeb" but he is running for Governor (as I learned from the link above)...

So, there it is...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home