Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas cookies

It is monday morning and I was going to be productive before heading into a meeting (regarding computers ironically enough, really big ones though). But for some unknown reason, DHCP at work doesn't like my laptop before 9 AM... not even wireless, and that's a separate network... but I digress.

It is x-mas time around our house, which as far as my stomach is concerned means one thing - cookies! Got a few batches of ginger snaps and sachertorte cookies made up yesterday. We are going easy on the cookies this year, partly out of time - we seem to be at least a week behind this year. So, only one other kind to make - some corn-flake wreath thing (it involves marshmallows and green food coloring, so it can't be all bad). We also have to add the filling to the sachertorte cookies too. We also are by-passing attempts to make traditional Icelandic or Scandanavian treats this year. We have an Icelandic cake (VĂ­narterta) that honestly gets better with age. We pulled some from the freezer so that should be good to go. Don't remember whether this one came from Grandma or my wife but it will taste good nonetheless. We've also never tried to make Lefse, but we have some of that on hand too. In all honesty, lefse hasn't ever really grown on me that much - but my wife adores it as do many others, so I try to acquire a taste for it every year. Lefse is definitely a regional specialty in the U.S., you can find it in many grocery stores in northern MN and ND, but not many other places. I plan to see if we can find a supply here in northeastern Ohio at some point, but for now the mother-in-law keeps us stocked.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home